Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Invisible Networks #12: Luxury Notifications

I finish the appeal form for the insurance company. Hopefully this time they'll actually approve the medication. I drag the document into my email and click SEND, but nothing seems to happen. Then my e-mail client stops lagging and presents a pop-up.

Failed to send mail!
The recipient is listed as one of our Platinum Subscribers and cannot be directly sent your message. Please visit the nearest delivery center to send your message. A shipping code will be provided to your inbox.

I swear something pretty loud and pretty intense. This will delay the appeal process by at least three days, and means I have to go downtown all for a paperwork trip. I cancel my plans for this evening and ready myself for the walking and bus ride.

It takes forty-five minutes for me to reach the delivery center. I at least have a lucky break today, since the end of the line doesn't reach outside of the building. Googlazon never builds enough of these places, but I guess that doesn't address the core problem of their actual business practices. I enter the line, trying to distract myself with social media feeds. It just makes me more depressed.

Thirty minutes later I finally reach the outgoing counter. I show the shipping code and the clerk sighs, hardly able to feign serviceable cheer this late in day. I nod in commiseration, we both don't want to be here, for varied reasons with the same root cause. He turns to a cabinet with multiple small, locked drawers and opens one. He procures a USB drive, encased in actual platinum and with the Googlazon logo made in embedded black onyx that lacks the slightest sign of color banding. Held in his silk-gloved hand, the drive is mounted into the computer which then loads my e-mail. Then I'm provided with a card to sign. Gold-embossed print on a high-quality paper that is meant to inform the recipient that this message comes from a person with the basic subscription. I try my best to make my name and email address look neat. With that all done, the clerk takes the card and the drive and places both on a velvet pillow that is then moved on a conveyor into the cargo bay of a regal-looking delivery drone. Once it flies out the clerk presents the confirmation form for me to sign.

I miss when mail didn't work like this. Apparently after the great corporate merger that formed Googlazon, they secretly went around marketing the overpriced email subscription tiers to the rich and power. No one in the public knows how the pitches went, but the way the current system works leaves little doubt that the whole point of it is to allow the wealthy to smugly express their contempt for the working class. The need to send the mail in-person at one of the delivery centers, the inconvenience and inefficiency, the opulence always in sight but out of reach. There's no gain for anyone except for those who want to reinforce their feeling of superiority. It's disgusting, but it won't change in this hellish unofficial corporatocracy.

I'm powerless to do anything but hope the insurance approves my medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment