Monday, February 3, 2020

Invisible Networks #3: PVP, PVself, PVworld

The suited man is anxious, energetic with expectation. "I want to use multiple sources to make sure I have this idea planned out correctly, so I need your services."

I hold back the sigh that's building up in me. "I'll be charging my business rate for this." I'm not enthusiastic to be working with corporate types again. This never goes well if I can't bail out early.

He doesn't seem phased when he reads the price information. It's intentionally inflated to keep these kinds of people out of my hair. And he simply nods. No negotiation, just ready to pay out. I give in. After getting enough information to start the search, I find what I'm looking for quickly. "Ok, I think I've locked on to the server. I'll just pull the file with the most use to see if we have the right one." With some concentration, I'm able to load the document with the latest modification date. I read but don't read aloud.

KingBuilder User Profile
Username: V4peS1th
Account creation date: 05/12/2033
Seed Mode Final Clout Score: 53,586
Branch Mode Final Clout Score: 78,545
King Mode Final Clout Score: 354,290
Staff Notes:
User Upgraded to Branch Mode at 02/04/2036, defeating 14,596 other users in written debate. Third user to receive this promotion. Tachyon stimulant administered at 02/07/2036.
User Upgraded to King Mode at 07/23/2036, upon defeating 2,125 alternate selves in written/verbal debate. All other Branch Mode users lost to alternate selves at this point in time. Override implant installed at 08/06/2036, successful connection to the defense grids of 23 countries.
User takes control of the military and government structures of 60% of Europe, 30% of South America and 80% of North America on 09/07/2036. Casualties within acceptable limits.
User's uplink site compromised by opposing international task force at 10/25/2036. User terminated and neural scan backups destroyed by enemy forces. Estimate 64% of global power structure under user's control at time of death. The failure is a setback and KingBuilder must be rebranded during the second attempt, but user's psychological profile will be useful in fast-tracking the most effective candidates in the next version.

I'm speechless. Horrified. In my years as a professional fortune teller I'd never seen something so drastic occupy such a strong potential future. I'm glad this monster can't read the file in the crystal ball and have his ambitions partially affirmed.

"I knew it! KingBuilder does the impossible and forges the perfect world leader to take control of mankind's destiny!" He's taken notice of my reaction, but is fortunately misreading it.

My mind races. I could lie, but he seems to believe in himself enough to try this no matter what I say. Precognitive crime reports aren't taken seriously, and I have the feeling he'll ignore the law regardless.

I try to lie, to stall. But my voice seems gone as my mouth moves. I know what this will mean for me, but I don't see any other way to properly prevent this future.

As he leans forward expecting my answer, I reach for the revolver I keep under the table . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment